Somerset sink Surrey in rain-affected clash at The Oval

Somerset sink Surrey in rain-affected clash at The Oval

South Group: Somerset 180-2 (Myburgh 76) beat Surrey 163-6 (Burns 51*; Groenewald 2-35) by eight wickets via D/L Method, at The Oval

Somerset earned a convincing eight-wicket win over Surrey in a rain affected match at The Oval to make it two wins in a row in the Royal London One-Day Cup.

Jim Allenby and Johann Myburgh anchored the Somerset run chase after they were set a revised 180 from 24 overs.

Rory Burns helped Surrey put a total on the board as he smashed 51 from 34 after Jason Roy had hit 46 earlier on.

Roy opened with Steven Davies who was frustrated after hitting just one run from his first 11 balls while Roy raced onto 19. Davies was then bowled by Allenby for six from just 24 balls.

Surrey finished their first powerplay on 48-1 from ten overs, but an over later the clouds descended on The Oval and play was ceased.

Play was halted for almost five hours after an afternoon deluge ruined any chance of play until seven o’clock, leaving Surrey 13 overs to bat.

Roy showed his intentions from the off, hitting two fours in Peter Trego’s first over immediately after the break.

The England opener then edged a Tim Groenewald delivery for four but the seamer earned revenge four balls later as he deceived Roy with a slower ball to bowl him for 46.

Somerset were at it again with the next ball as Kumar Sangakkkara was crucially run out backing up for 12, leaving the hosts 72-3.

Max Waller was next into the attack and captain Rory Burns took a liking to the leg spinner as he took 13 off Waller’s second over including ten off two balls.

Surrey’s 100 came up on 17.3 overs as the somewhat unlucky Groenewald saw another edge fly past wicket-keeper Barrow off the bat of Gary Wilson for four.

Trego made up for his expensive first over by removing Wilson for 13 thanks to a smart low catch from Adam Hose, before Tom Curran was run out for a duck next ball to leave Surrey 106-5.

The next two balls went for four which ended an eventful over from Trego that included two wickets and two boundaries as Burns accelerated – hitting a six just over the 6’5 frame of Craig Overton.

South African Matthew Pillans muscled two sixes in Surrey’s last over. Meanwhile Burns went through to his half century as Surrey finished on 163-6 thanks to Pillans’ late cameo of 17 from eight.

That target was revised to 180 and Somerset raced to 44 from five overs. Youngster Sam Curran went for 16 in his first over thanks to a succession of boundaries, including a six from Johann Myburgh.

Somerset finished their first powerplay 84-0 as Surrey failed to stop the flow of runs, before Allenby went to his 50 with a six from just 34 deliveries.

Somerset’s 100 came up after just 11.1 overs before Myburgh went to his half century three overs later.

More loose bowling from Surrey allowed Somerset’s dominant opening pair to motor onto 133-0 from 17 overs, followed by Allenby bringing up the 150 by smashing a free hit from Stuart Meaker down the ground for six in an over that yielded a mammoth 22 runs.

Surrey finally got their first wicket as Allenby pushed one to Rory Burns for 71 off Tom Curran with 155 on the board, before Meaker caught Myburgh off Sam Curran for 76 from 59 balls.

Those two wickets weren’t enough for Surrey as James Hildreth and Trego saw Somerset home with five balls to spare as Trego hit the winning runs.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.