Somerset strengthen home quarter-final bid with Surrey win

Somerset strengthen home quarter-final bid with Surrey win

Jamie Overton’s 4-24 and Peter Trego’s 70 took Somerset to a last over win against Surrey at Taunton this evening, securing their top spot and are now very likely to get a home quarterfinal.

Two once fast-bowling all-rounders did not bowl a ball between them tonight, but batted brutally beautifully to guide Somerset towards a four-wicket win in front of another sell-out Taunton crowd.

Corey Anderson and Trego put on 104 for the fifth-wicket before they both fell in quick succession, but Lewis Gregory and Roelof van der Merwe saw Somerset safely to the 177 run target.

In 2012 Trego hit Morne Morkel for six fours in one over, tonight Morkel took two wickets in his first over, Trego not one of them. First Johan Myburgh, then Steven Davies were caught out by tame, half-hearted shots.

Marcus Trescothick scored another century for the Second XI this week, tonight the other two of Somerset’s longest serving playing legends, Trego and James Hildreth came together at 9-2 with plenty of work to do-177 the target.

They looked good until the second ball of Morkel’s third over saw his third wicket, Hildreth, superbly caught by Clarke at short extra, for 14. Trego slog swept Gareth Batty for six early, but Tom Abell provided a third soft Somerset dismissal, top edging the off-spinner to deep square.

Anderson and Trego then put on the highest partnership of the match so far, eclipsing Surrey’s 69-run fifth-wicket stand of 69 by mixing quick singles with typically bullish brutality. Trego reached his 50 off 34 balls, whilst Anderson’s was even quicker, off just 26 balls – with five sixes, but no fours.

They both fell before the close. Trego went to a wonderful Freddie van den Bergh catch, having top-scored with 70. Anderson top-edged a cut shot to point when 53 off just 31 balls.

Maybe it was not set to be Surrey’s night from the very first delivery. A calamitous run out first ball of the game wasn’t the start they hoped for. With Aaron Finch’s replacement Rory Burns gone without facing a ball, it didn’t get better for a while longer for ‘Rey fans.

Nic Maddinson looked like he’d take on the Australian whack-it mantra, pulling one right over the Andrew Caddick Pavilion, but a second skier in two balls was well held by Johann Myburgh at point.

A one-handed blinder of a catch by Jerome Taylor off an Overton full toss eradicated Finch’s partner in crime Jason Roy early as well, and Surrey were reeling at 20-3. Ben Foakes rebuilt with Will Jacks for a while, but when van der Merwe had him bowled for 13, some wondered if Surrey would even make 100.

It was Rikki Clarke and Jacks to the rescue, putting on 69 for the fifth wicket. First Clarke once, then Jacks twice took van der Merwe for straight sixes, skipping down the track and depositing him onto Gimblett’s Hill. Followed up by five wides and a few singles, it made for the most expensive over of the match by far.

A tidy 10th over from fellow spinner Max Waller made up for some of the damage, Surrey 82/4 at the halfway stage. Waller bowled his four overs for just 15 runs.

Thereafter the Dutch spinner was taken to from both ends, being hit for five sixes and going for 54 runs across his four overs.

A great running catch from Abell at deep cow saw Jacks go for 53 off Overton’s bowling. He finished with impressive figures of 4-24 off four.

Surrey scraped through to last all 120 balls. Tom Curran hit a few lusty blows and 2018 Surrey T20 debutant van den Bergh finished 18* providing the only other scores of note for the London side.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.